Wonderopolis (http://wonderopolis.org) is a website created by the National Center for Family Literacy. It can help parents and teachers draw elementary-age children into literacy-strengthening conversations and activities.
Yesterdays Wonder of the Day was "Why are they called deadlines?" Each wonder includes:
- an interesting video clip (the deadline one below with the cool post it stop motion animation)
- several paragraphs of fairly student-friendly text that introduces the topic and content related to the question
- learning activities that kids can do at home ("Once you have something in mind, grab a pencil and paper and do some planning. Break the task down into all its parts. Estimate how much time each part will take. Take a look at how much time you have left before your deadline, and decide how much work you will need to do each day until the deadline arrives.")
- vocabulary featured in the text
- a "still wondering" section that offers links to content on other sites
- a comment section for kids